We believe that we must all contribute to a sustainable future. That is why we are working on several initiatives within Kinsterna, our sustainable hotel in Greece, that are aimed at securing positive
change. Our sustainable hotel practices work towards benefiting and caring for the environment; from small things, such as procuring products only from our region and using organic linen and bed
sheets, to several larger-scale initiatives as listed below. We want to make a positive difference in the world. That is why we donate on various counts to support the local community in which we reside. Furthermore, at our sustainable hotel, you will find more than 290 flora species on the estate grounds. We are committed to the planting and growth of endemic trees and plants, for the benefit of the climate, the environment and local biodiversity. As a responsible enterprise, Kinsterna Hotel is one of the luxury sustainable hotels in Greece that will always protect the environment and nature in connection with its estate activities. Our historical mansion operates using sustainable hotel practices that draw inspiration from Kinsterna’s existing practices and actions. In effect, this means that we:
- Save on nature’s resources and strive to minimise environmental impact.
- Continually seek new knowledge & technology that ensures increased environmental protection.
- Incorporate initiatives and products that save energy and water.
- Ensure a high degree of recycling and waste minimisation by following a waste compost protocol and separation of kitchen food residues for feeding the stable animals.
- Have a water resource management and preservation system in place, offering naturally filtered water from the two springs located on the property.
- Inform employees on how to care for the environment.
- Encourage our suppliers to live up to our environmental-conscious level.
- Hire staff locally, accounting for 70% of our employees, thus reinforcing the region’s economic development.
- Use local, natural building materials: slate, cypress wood, pebbles, marble, old hand-made tiles and ceramics, and reeds from nearby wetlands.
- Use our own produce in our kitchen: estate garden fruits and vegetables, herbs, wine, olive oil.
- Have our own production of: red, white and rose wine, organic olive oil, tsipouro, table olives and biological hand soap.
- Source the finest of local ingredients: local free-range meats for our restaurants.
- Offer spa therapies inspired by tradition and local ingredients such as grapes, honey and pomegranates.
- Have natural, ecological sheets and linens.
- Follow a program for recycling our towels and linen.
- Have a composting system for kitchen and garden waste.
- Actively promote the hiking trails in the region for a greater understanding of the land’s sentience, beauty and synergy.
- Adhere to Green Key’s criteria at all times, following up on inquiries and actively working with the scheme’s recommendations.
The Green Key award is the leading standard for excellence in the field of environmental responsibility and sustainable operation within the tourism industry. This prestigious eco-label represents a commitment by luxury sustainable hotels in Greece and around the world. That their premises adhere to the strict criteria set by the Foundation for Environmental Education for sustainable hotel practices. A Green Key stands for the promise to guests that by opting to stay at a Green Key establishment, they are helping to make an impactful difference on an environmental level.
For more information about Green Key, read here.